The yoga world has changed so much since I started teaching 16 years ago. Back then I didn’t have a website, use social media or have any fancy tech equipment, and I didn’t know many (any?) yoga teachers who did!
The need to be able to understand and use technology has changed a lot since 2005, and even more so in this last year…obviously. I’m so happy to have an episode for you today that has super practical answers to all your yoga-tech questions!
My guest today is Alex Haley (he/him) and in addition to being a long time meditation teacher, he is one of the co-founders of the public benefit corporation OfferingTree, which provides an all-in-one platform for yoga teachers and studios to build a website, manage scheduling, take payments and coordinate communication. Alex has also worked for start-ups, mid-sized companies and large multinationals in business roles, so he has tons of practical experience to share with us!
Alex is on the pod today to answer all your tech questions like:
- What is the best webcam?
- What is the best microphone?
- What is the best lighting setup?
- What are your thoughts about playing music through Zoom?
- What do you think yoga and meditation teachers most need in their website?
- What is the best way to seamlessly connect class registration to zoom links, billing and email reminders?
- How do you recommend yoga teachers effectively use SEO?
- What is the best way to collect payment for online and in-person classes?
Resources Mentioned in this episode:
- webinars from OfferingTree, especially Meg Casebolt and Danait Berhe
- Logitech C920 ( ~$79)
- DSLR camera – Panasonic GH4 ( ~$650)
- Blue Yeti (podcast / video recording)
- Rode Wireless Go ( live teaching / movement / video recording )
- Audio Technica AT2020 ( guided meditation / podcast / video recording )
- Jabra Elite – many different models ( guided meditation / video recording )
- AirPods Pro (live teaching / movement) <– if you have a Mac
- Free Music Archive – Creative Commons
- Best Practices For Teaching Online
- Acuity is another great platform that syncs payments, registrations, and Zoom links, and my own right-hand project manager Jess is an expert in it!
This episode is brought to you by OfferingTree, an easy-to-use, all-in-one online platform for yoga teachers that provides a personal website, booking, payment, blogging, and many other great features. If you sign up at www.offeringtree.com/mentor, you’ll get 50% off your first three months (or 15% off any annual plan)! OfferingTree supports me with each sign-up. I’m proud to be supported by a public benefit company whose mission is to further wellness access and education for everyone.