The yoga world is a subculture of our society; it mirrors both the beauty and the problems of the wider culture it inhabits. As a group we tend to spend more time teaching and talking about the things we deem “positive” about ourselves and our world, but in the long run this does everyone a disservice, both us and our yoga students.
If we want our world to be different and better it is up to create that change. And that means we have to talk about the underbelly of the yoga industry. We have to shine a light on the dark, dusty corners and start cleaning up.
For that reason I am SO honored and excited to introduce you to the Yoga Is Dead podcast. My friends Jesal Parikh and Tejal Patel created this podcast as a way to jumpstart critical conversations, elevate oppressed voices and expose the problems felt by anyone who isn’t in the “in” crowd of the yoga industry.
In this episode you’ll hear:
- Why they decided to call their podcast Yoga is Dead and the reactions they’ve received so far
- Why they felt it was necessary for their first episode to cover the racism and cultural appropriation they’ve experienced
- All about “Karma Capitalism” and why it is a problem
- How power hoarding shows up in the yoga world and what can be done about it
- Suggestions for being a good ally
- And so much more!
Listen here and please share any thoughts or questions below! Myself, Jesal and Tejal will be happy to answer any questions that come up!
Learn More From Jesal + Tejal:
- On the podcast’s website
- Resources to learn more about racism, cultural appropriation, privilege and being a good ally
- Resources to learn more about Karma Capitalism
- Follow Yoga is Dead on Instagram
- Join the Yoga is Dead Facebook group
- Support the podcast here or here
- Follow Jesal on Instagram Instagram at @yogawalla
- Follow Tejal on Instagram at @tejalyoga