When you think of teaching a trauma-informed yoga class, what comes to mind? Do you think of teaching a special class for a specific population, like veterans recovering from PTSD or survivors of abuse in a shelter? Those are populations that certainly benefit from a very well trained and thoughtfully trauma-conscious teacher (and specialty class!), but the truth is every single human has experienced some kind of trauma, and that is important to keep in mind in every yoga class we teach.
I’m thrilled today to introduce you to yoga teacher, social worker and trauma-informed yoga expert Hannah Davis! Hannah Davis (she/her) is a body-focused clinician and yoga teacher specializing in mind-body healing. She has training in somatic healing, Ayurveda, mindful vinyasa, and various trauma-sensitive approaches. She leads several trauma-informed community-based yoga classes through Vikara Village and is a Licensed Social Worker in Maryland and DC.
In this episode you’ll hear:
- an important, foundational definition of trauma
- why yoga is such a powerful modality for people living with and healing from trauma
- why trauma-informed yoga is an entire philosophy not *only* a specialty class
- an explanation of the universal precautions as a core trauma-informed concept
- the important skills of a Safe Space facilitator
- whether or not it is possible to have a truly trauma-informed approach to hands-on adjustments
- the place philosophy and subtle body teachings have in a trauma-conscious philosophy
Learn More From Hannah:
- At her website
- Learn more about Vikara Village here
- Follow Hannah on Instagram here
- Follow Hannah on Facebook here
- Download this Trauma-Informed Checklist!
- Take class with Hannah at Stillness + Movement here (use code NEWSTUDENT for your first class free!)
This episode is brought to you by OfferingTree, an easy-to-use, all-in-one online platform for yoga teachers that provides a personal website, booking, payment, blogging, and many other great features. The best thing about OfferingTree is you can get up and running in 10 minutes with no tech skills needed. As an added bonus, If you sign up at www.offeringtree.com/mentor, you’ll get 50% off your first three months (or 15% off any annual plan)! OfferingTree supports me with each sign-up. I’m proud to be supported by a public benefit company whose mission is to further wellness access and education for everyone.