It has been just over one year since I shifted from teaching yoga full time in-person, to teaching full time online. It has been a huge change (obviously) in my approach to teaching and my day to day schedule. In this episode I share some updates with you about how it’s going in general (well!) how my students are doing (so much beautiful growth and adaptation) and what my teaching plans look like for the future (I don’t know!).
I also wanted to expand on a foundational part of my teaching philosophy: the importance of being able to teach without demonstrating, and investigate how that impacts online teaching. I address some of the questions that come up inside the camera on/ camera off debate AND make an announcement about some very fun things happening in our community soon!
In this episode you’ll hear:
- an update on online teaching and my plans for the future
- why it is both important and challenging to teach without demonstrating
- why students benefit from our attention more than they do from our demonstrations
- some suggestions for helping our students feel more comfortable being on video
- how to support students who are visual learners
- advice I would give my March 2020 self!
Resources Mentioned in this episode:
- Stillness + Movement Virtual Yoga Studio: Use the coupon code MENTOR at checkout to take your first class free.
- The Mentor Sessions Sangha: Registration will open for the first time on June 1st 2021
- Toronto Movement Therapy
- The Science of the Private Lesson online training
This episode is brought to you by OfferingTree, an easy-to-use, all-in-one online platform for yoga teachers that provides a personal website, booking, payment, blogging, and many other great features. The best thing about OfferingTree is you can get up and running in 10 minutes with no tech skills needed. As an added bonus, If you sign up at www.offeringtree.com/mentor, you’ll get 50% off your first three months (or 15% off any annual plan)! OfferingTree supports me with each sign-up. I’m proud to be supported by a public benefit company whose mission is to further wellness access and education for everyone.