Do you have hip pain? Today’s episode is all about the hip joint and hip injuries that are common in yoga practitioners. Many of you may already know this story, but I tore my hip labrum when I was 23 years old and I spent the first two years of my yoga teaching career walking with a cane and was in incredible pain.
I had a slow, but amazing recovery from that injury, and now almost 12 years later I am stronger, healthier and more pain free than I have ever been in my life! If you are in pain, or have students who are struggling with hip problems, this episode is for you!
I invited my friend Ariele Foster to join me in this conversation because in addition to being a doctor of physical therapy, yoga teacher since 2001 and an anatomy teacher for yoga teacher trainings, she also had a hip injury.
In this episode you’ll hear:
- The stories about our own hip injuries and subsequent healing. (There is hope if you have a hip injury!)
- The anatomy and structure of the hip joint.
- Specific poses and movements that increases the chances of a hip labral tears.
- Some warning signs and sensations that a person might not recognize as a problem until after damage it done.
- The relationship between “hip opening” poses, hypermobility of the hips and injuries.
Learn More From Ariele: